Annulment Attorney in Westlake Village, CA
Do You Qualify for an Annulment?
Although annulments and
divorces may signal the conclusion to marriage, there is a fundamental difference.
While divorce is an end to an existing, valid marriage, an annulment determines
that a marriage never legally existed. In California, there are a multitude
of potential reasons, also known as “grounds,” that a judge
may consider a request to annul a marriage.
These grounds include:
- Couple related by blood
- One spouse was under the age of 18
- One or both spouses were already married
- One spouse was intoxicated or inebriated
- One spouse forced the other to get married
- Purpose of marriage is to obtain citizenship or green card
How Do I Obtain a Court Order Annulling my Marriage?
To begin an annulment case, you need to fill out the same forms as with
a divorce and
legal separation. It’s imperative to know that in California, there’s a deadline
which dictates the time limit you possess when an annulment can be filed,
depending on the reason why you want the annulment in the first place. A
Westlake Village divorce & family lawyer can help you understand your options and file all the necessary paperwork.
The following are the “statute of limitations” regarding the
various reasons for annulment:
- If one spouse was under the age of 18, he/she must file within four years
after you turn 18
- If one or both spouses were already married, he/she can file at any time
while the first marriage is still active
- If one spouse was intoxicated or inebriated, he/she can file any time before
you or your spouse passes away
- If one spouse forced the other to get married, he/she can file within four
years of getting married
- If the purpose of marriage is due to fraudulent reasons, such as remaining
in the country, he/she must file within four years of the time he/she
discovered the fraud
Schedule an Appointment for a Free Initial Consultation
Since the stakes are so high when it comes to annulment, it’s important
to discuss you legal options with an experienced California family law
attorney, especially if there are children involved. For more than 30
years, I have assisted thousands of clients navigate through the legal
system to attain the results they desire.
Do not hesitate to call
(805) 633-4999 and let’s get started on your case today!