Divorce litigation is an inherently contentious and adversarial process that often leaves both parties feeling wounded and bruised. However, you do not have to take this path to successfully dissolve your marriage. There are other options, such as divorce mediation, which provide a more peaceful approach for spouses to amicably unlink their lives. For spouses with children, divorcing on more friendly terms will also help pave the way for a more effective co-parenting relationship, which will greatly benefit the kids.
The Advantages of Mediation
The divorce process does not have to turn into a battle. In fact, many spouses are able to achieve a resolution outside of court.
Below are some of the benefits of choosing divorce mediation:
- During litigation, a judge will have the power to determine the terms of your divorce decree, including child custody, property division, and spousal support. When spouses choose divorce mediation, they will hash out these decisions together, giving them both some power over these important issues.
- As is the case with most things in life, time is money. Divorce litigation is a much lengthier process, which means it will also cost more. Save yourself some time and money by choosing divorce mediation.
- If you feel like mediation is not working out for you, you can withdraw at any point. Nothing is stopping you from changing your mind.
- Divorce litigation is also a public process, so if you wish for the personal details of your divorce to remain private, you should consider mediation. Only you, your spouse, and your mediator will be privy to the details of your divorce.
- During the mediation process, you and your spouse will learn to negotiate and communicate with each other to achieve a mutually agreeable resolution. If you have children, this will help set the foundation you need to work together as co-parents.
- Instead of having to follow the court’s schedule, you and your spouse can work out a schedule for your mediation sessions that is convenient for both of you, which means you might not have to miss as much time for work or your other obligations.
As you can see, divorce mediation presents a vast array of advantages and benefits for spouses who are open to cooperating and keeping an open mind.
Discuss Your Case with a Skilled Mediator Today!
If you wish to avoid a courtroom battle, reach out to the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Graff to obtain the assistance of a skilled and experienced mediator. Backed by more than 35 years of experience in the field, you can rely on our mediator’s knowledge and insight to facilitate smooth negotiations, so you can peacefully put an end to your marriage. We understand how difficult this experience can be for spouses, which is why we are dedicated to providing effective and practical solutions, so everyone can move forward and pursue happiness.