Can I Increase Spousal Support?


Spousal support is designed to help the lower-income earning party maintain the standard of living the couple had during the marriage. When determining spousal support, a judge will look at many different factors, including the duration of your marriage, your spouse’s ability to pay support, your earning ability, your work experience, your age and health, and more. That said, financial circumstances change and, if you are finding yourself in a situation where you need these payments to be increased, you can petition the court with this request.

Increasing Spousal Support After a Divorce

Before petitioning the court for an increase in spousal support, you should consider talking about the matter with your former spouse. If you are on somewhat good terms, you may be able to get your ex to agree to a modification. However, even if you are in agreement, be sure to obtain a court order to ensure it is enforceable.

If you cannot work out a new arrangement with your former spouse, it is still possible to increase your spousal support payments, assuming there was a material change in your circumstances.

Below are some situations in which a judge may consider granting your request:

  • You lost your job or your income was substantially reduced
  • You now have more expenses than originally anticipated, such as a serious medical problem
  • Your former spouse’s expenses are lower than anticipated
  • Your former spouse received a substantial raise

If the change in circumstances relates to your children, however, it would be more appropriate for you to discuss modifying child support. The process of modifying child support is similar to modifying spousal support. Whichever form of support you need to be modified, be sure to seek the guidance of an experienced legal professional to ensure the best possible results.

Set Up a Free Consultation with an Experienced Family Law Attorney Today!

If you are seeking an increase in spousal support, the family law team at the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Graff can provide the assistance you need to achieve your goals. With more than 35 years of experience on our side, you can rely on us to guide you through this process. We understand how important it is for you to overcome the financial stress you are experiencing and will do what we can to help you to overcome it.

Reach out to our legal team today at (805) 633-4999 to request a free initial case evaluation with our family law attorney to get started.

Related Posts
  • Securing Your Fathers’ Rights in California Read More
  • What Happens to Your Digital Assets in a Divorce? Read More
  • What Does it Mean to Be Legally Separated? Read More