Can I Modify a Child Custody Order?

child custody modification

Although, generally, family courts favor stability and consistency in a child’s life, it is possible to have a child custody order modified under certain circumstances. Before you consider taking the matter the court, however, you can discuss the modification with your ex. If you have a functional co-parenting relationship and are both open to negotiation and compromise, you may be able to resolve this matter without setting foot in a courtroom. If you cannot work out an agreement, you can go to court with your request.

Changing a Child Custody Agreement

If you are attempting to change your child custody agreement, you will have to prepare a detailed plan that outlines scheduled visitation, including holidays. You will also need to explain why you believe it is necessary to modify your child custody arrangement. Your justification for the change will be one of the most important factors regarding whether or not it is granted.

Below is a list of reasons to modify a child custody order:

  • One parent placed the child in a dangerous environment
  • The custodial parent is not allowing the non-custodial parent to have contact with the child
  • One parent needs to relocate for personal reasons or due to employment
  • One parent’s religious practices are harming the child
  • One parent is failing to appropriately care for the child by ensuring they arrive to school on time and attend all scheduled medical appointments

These are just some of the reasons why a judge may grant a child custody modification. Ultimately, to successfully petition the court for modification, you will have to prove a substantial change in circumstances. Additionally, much like the first time your custody order was created, a judge value the best interests of your child above all else.

Discuss Your Child Custody Modification Case with Our Experienced Attorney Today!

If you are requesting a modification of your child custody order, the experienced legal team at the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Graff can assist you with your case. Backed by more than 35 years of experience, you can feel confident in our ability to effectively guide and advise you throughout your case, so you can achieve the most favorable results. We understand how important your children are to you and will work tirelessly on your behalf.

Reach out to our law office today at (805) 633-4999 to schedule a consultation with our attorney to get started on your case.

Related Posts
  • Will I Be Forced to Sell My Property in a Divorce? Read More
  • What Happens to Your Digital Assets in a Divorce? Read More
  • What Does it Mean to Be Legally Separated? Read More