Experienced. Dedicated. Successful.

Enforcing Family Court Orders in California

Learn Your Rights from a Westlake Village Family Lawyer

Enforcing a Court Order Family Law IssueTo enforce a court order, you will need to show the courts that the other person is in “contempt of court,” and has not been following the terms of your divorce agreements. Contempt of court cases range from violations involving child custody, child support, visitation, spousal, support, property division, and many other court orders stemming from a divorce.

If you find that your ex is refusing to comply with the orders or communicate with you or the court, you have the right to know your legal options. Discuss your case with a Westlake Village family law attorney from the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Graff. As an attorney with over 35 years of experience, I have keen understanding of the law and have a build a reputation for client-focused services.

How to Enforce Court Orders

The petition first begins by providing proof to the courts and filing the Order to Show Cause and Affidavit for Contempt form. You can download that form here. As the filing party, you must provide proof that your ex is in contempt, by providing evidence that he or she is violating the terms of your agreements.

Here is a list of some of the necessary requirements:

  • The court order must be valid—with specific rules for carrying out the order
  • The other party should have been fully aware that the order existed, for example, he or she was present during the court proceedings
  • The other party violated the court order

The last element is perhaps the most difficult matter for the initiating party to prove, however, as the circumstances can vary, depending on the facts of the case. For example, in cases such as child support or spousal support, the accused must continuously make monthly payments. For each missed month or late payment, that person has already violated the terms. Courts can choose to garnish the other partner’s wages or withhold tax refund, as examples, which may be a drastic, but necessary step, in order to recover any lost finances.

Find Counsel from a Trusted Westlake Village Divorce Lawyer

Divorce matters can be some of the most complicated and stressful situations to manage; it does not help when your ex adds more burdens to the situation by refusing to pay. You have the right to seek legal assistance for your case and you do not have to continue putting up with it. Call my Thousand Oaks firm right away for to discuss how we can help resolve this matter most effectively. I put your goals ahead and do everything in my power to achieve them for you.

Contact me at (805) 633-4999 today to request your free consultation!

Hear it From Our
Happy Clients

  • His team helped restore hope into our family in a time of uncertainty. That alone make Jeff a fantastic attorney aside from his knowledgeable legal skills.

    “Jeff and his team are by far the best to work with. His staff is kind, courteous, and he is excellent at getting the job done in a timely fashion. He is very straight forward and makes it easy to understand what is going on step by step in your case. His experience and insight into the family law field is excellent. Jeff and his office have helped my family tremendously and I would recommend him to anyone who is looking for family law help. If you wants to be sure it is done correct the first time and that your family's best interest are always cared for, he is the guy. His team helped restore hope into our family in a time of uncertainty. That alone make Jeff a fantastic attorney aside from his knowledgeable legal skills.”



    “Mr. Graff was FANTASTIC!!! At the first meeting he was very knowledgeable as to my case details and clearly described the necessary procedures that I should expect. He was available anytime I had a question and always responded right away. When the court date arrived, he was absolutely the most professional in his presentation to the judge (compared to the other attorney who mumbled her way through) and I won my case. You can not go wrong with Jeffrey!!”


  • An Amazing Lawyer!

    “I would recommend Jeffrey to anyone that is going though a divorce or child custody. He did his job and helped me get through one of the toughest parts in my life. He is amazing and I can't thank him enough for helping me with this situation. I called around to a few different attorneys and he was the one that just made me feel good and he was super feasible for my situation.”

    Former Client

  • I have faith in Jeffery Graff.

    “I am a battered woman. Jeffrey saw this when I walked in a year ago to hire him to get a divorce. I was not ready. I thought I could save my 27yr marriage. He knew I would be back when I was ready. He never pushed me to follow through, he waited for me to make to be ready for the long haul. I finally did it! I got tired of being abused in so many ways. Jeffery is a very patient man. I know he will take care of me!!!!! So far so good. I know he is going to keep me in my house for now or ever. He was honest and said we may have to sell but I know the job will get done in my best interest!”

    Former Client

  • He was easy to work with!

    “Fees were reasonable and he helped me work through my divorce to ensure it was done in a timely manner. He was easy to work with!”

    Former Client